Personal injury cases need to proceed in a timely fashion. There are deadlines in place that determine when a personal injury lawsuit needs to be filed and waiting until after the deadline will affect your ability to receive a settlement award. A Rome personal injury attorney can help you determine if you have a personal injury case. It is advised to speak to a lawyer as soon as your accident occurs to make sure you can file within the required deadline.
Deadlines for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Rome, GA
The deadline for filing a Rome personal injury lawsuit is two years from the date of the negligent accident where you were injured. There is a statute of limitations set within the court system set by the state. There is no grace period after this filing date, which makes it necessary to adhere to for your personal injury lawsuit.
The only instance where an extension of time occurs is the filing of a personal injury case when a loss of consortium occurs. This is a loss of the companionship of the injured party because of the accident that occurred. They may suffer from death or suffer a change in their emotional and physical companionship with their significant other or family members.
Consortium losses have a four-year filing deadline that starts from the date of the death or change in emotional or physical capacity of your loved one because of the injuries that they sustained at the hands of another.
Your Rome personal injury attorney will help you determine which statute of limitations that you need to adhere to for your personal injury case.
What Can I Sue For In A Rome Personal Injury Lawsuit?
Getting a settlement for your personal injuries can come in a variety of forms. This may include payment for your medical expenses to treat your injuries now and into the future. Severe injuries may require extensive medical treatment that needs payment from the defendant that caused your injuries.
You may also seek payment for lost wages that occurred because you had to miss work because of the injuries that you suffered from the accident. These wages are part of your settlement award and can include future earnings if you are unable to work because a negligent accident has rendered you permanently disabled.
Settlement damages can also include pain and suffering losses. Traumatic accidents can cause emotional suffering and mental anguish that can cause long-term effects. The idea behind pain and suffering settlement awards is to provide financial comfort for an injured party and help them move forward with their life after the accident has occurred.
Your Rome personal injury attorney may also seek loss of enjoyment damages in your case. These damages pay you an award settlement for the activities you can no longer enjoy doing because of the severity of your injuries. This settlement award is calculated your personal injury attorney and requested as a part of your lawsuit filing.
Consortium losses can also be sought in a lawsuit for personal injury in Rome.
The laws of the state do not allow for punitive damages requested in a personal injury lawsuit unless there are particular and special findings that deem it necessary. There need to be particularly egregious actions that caused your injuries, and the judge needs to agree that there are significant finds to claim punitive damages in your case.
Punitive damages, although rare, can occur to further punish the defendant financially. This helps to deter others from partaking in the same dangerous behavior that could hurt someone.
What Type of Accidents Could Lead to a Rome Personal Injury Lawsuit?
There is a myriad of ways that an injury can occur that is the fault of another person or company. Dangerous areas can cause injury or products can harm people by their false claims. The most common forms of personal injury accidents include:
- Slip and fall accidents: It is the responsibility of a property owner to make sure their premises are safe for all that enter it. If you fall or slip and get hurt, they are considered liable for your injuries. Slip and fall accidents can happen in a number of ways from icy sidewalks to work zones that have not properly marked.
- Workplace injuries: When injured at work, and your employer was negligent for the accident that caused your injuries, you have a right to file a lawsuit for additional compensation. Your employer is responsible for providing a safe environment for its employees, and when they do not, they can be held liable for accidents that occur.
- Product liabilities: When products that you use and consume cause injury, you have a right to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer for making false safe claims to the consumer. These Rome personal injury lawsuits require that the company that produced the product warn of any safety issues that could cause harm to a consumer. They are liable if their product causes injury without warning.
- Medication and medical device liabilities: Just like products, medications and medical devices can harm a consumer that takes or uses them without proper warning. It is the responsibility of the manufacturer to keep the public safe when consuming their medications or utilizing their medical devices whether it be as part of surgery or follow up medical care.
- Dog Bites: Another form of Rome personal injury is dog bites. When a dog is dangerous, and out of control of the owner, they become a liability. Every dog owner is responsible for the actions of their dog and needs to ensure they are properly restrained when around strangers. They need to be on a leash and controllable by the dog owner.
Consult with a Rome, Georgia, Personal Injury Lawyer Today
If you have been hurt because of the negligent acts of another, you have a right to file a Rome personal injury lawsuit. The attorneys at Bader Law Firm, LLC can help. They can advise you on your legal rights and fight to get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. You can count on the lawyers at Bader Law Firm, LLC. Contact us today for a consultation.
Seth Bader is an Auto accident, Workers Compensation and Personal Injury Attorney who practices in Atlanta, Rome, Savannah, Norcross, Carrollton, Georgia. He graduated from Florida State University College of Law, and has been practicing law for 14 years. Seth Bader believes in fighting for the injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.