Your Savannah, GA personal injury claim allows you to seek compensation for a variety of damages. While a Savannah personal injury attorney is the best way to determine what damages you qualify for from your personal injury case, you may be able to take advantage of several of these losses in your suit.
- Medical expenses: Your medical expenses are part of your settlement award in a Savannah personal injury case. These expenses include medical treatment you incurred currently as well as any future medical care you would need to treat your injuries from the accident.
- Lost wages: You qualify for lost wages due to time missed from work to recover from your injuries due to a Savannah personal injury in Georgia. This may also include lost wages for any future work you may miss for medical treatment or because your injuries have left you unable to work due to a disability.
- Pain and suffering: The emotional anguish and mental suffering can be severe after a traumatic accident. Your settlement award in your Savannah, GA, personal injury claim can include pain and suffering damages.
- Loss of consortium: When you lose the companionship of another due to a Savannah personal injury in Georgia, you have a right to loss of consortium damages. This can provide a financial settlement for the death or change in the behavior of a loved one.
- Loss of enjoyment: If your injuries have caused you to be unable to continue to do the things that you enjoy, you may seek loss of enjoyment damages as part of your award settlement. In a Savannah, GA, personal injury claim this includes the loss of your favorite hobbies or activities that you can no longer do because of your injuries.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are awarded if the judge finds special findings in your case. These financial settlements act as further punishment to the negligent party and work to deterrent to others that engage in the same behavior.
How Do I Prove Fault in a Savannah Personal Injury Case?
Proving fault in a personal injury case really requires the assistance of a Savannah personal injury attorney. The state of Georgia uses a comparative law for determining fault in a case. While your personal injury case may be straightforward, others are not and some fault occurs by the plaintiff. When this happens, this percentage of fault is deducted from the total settlement award.
Your Savannah personal injury attorney needs to prove the fault of the defendant and reduce your fault in the case. Photos and witness testimony are ways to prove fault. Photos can be valuable in proving a property was unsafe or show the extent of the injuries that you suffered. Witnesses can provide a detailed account of the Savannah personal injury accident that is in line with your testimony. Additional expert witnesses may be necessary to prove the severity and extent of your injuries or detail the fault of the defendant.
A Savannah personal injury attorney needs to establish fault of the defendant in your case. If it is proven that you are 50 percent or more at fault in your case, compensation is affected. You receive no settlement award for your Savannah personal injury claim.
How Long Do I Have to File a Personal Injury Claim in Savannah, GA?
It is imperative that you take action immediately for your Savannah, GA, personal injury claims. You only have two years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit in your case and a Savannah personal injury attorney will need to investigate your claims and gather evidence to support your case.
Time also needs to be provided to negotiate with insurance companies on your settlement award. A Savannah personal injury attorney will advise you on the deadline for filing your lawsuit and help determine if your personal injury claims should go to court. If a negotiation cannot be reached for your settlement award, it may be necessary to go to court to get the compensation you deserve for your injuries after your accident.
Seek Legal Counsel for Your Savannah Personal Injury Claim
If you have been hurt because of the negligent actions of another, you need to file a Savannah, GA, personal injury claim. The Savannah personal injury attorneys at the Bader Law Firm, LLC, can help. They will fight for your legal rights to a settlement for your injuries and get you the justice you deserve in your personal injury case. Contact us today to set up a consultation.
Seth Bader is an Auto accident and Personal Injury Attorney who practices in Atlanta, Rome, Savannah, Norcross, Carrollton, Georgia. He graduated from Florida State University College of Law, and has been practicing law for 14 years. Seth Bader believes in fighting for the injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.