If you’ve been out in the city, you’ve noticed people riding around on scooters. Last year, over a thousand scooters were released all over the Atlanta area. You can use a smartphone to rent one of these scooters to travel around the city. Since it is so easy to rent a scooter, lots of Georgians are trying these apps. However, there are also more scooter accidents in the city because of the lack of regulation of these apps. What do you do if you have been in a crash with a Lime or Bird scooter?
Bader Scott Injury Lawyers are experienced Bird scooter accidents lawyer in Rome. We understand that these cases can be complicated, which is why you shouldn’t handle them on your own. We offer free consultations, so we can answer your questions and go over your options. If you or someone you know has been injured in a Bird or Lime scooter accident, contact us today. Let’s get you compensation for your injuries and damages.
What are Bird and Lime scooters?
If you’ve seen scooter riders in the city, they are probably on one of these rented scooters. Ridesharing apps have become so popular that companies have decided to start renting scooters. You can use an app on your phone to rent a scooter for as long as you want. When you’re done, you park the scooter back near the street. So, you can see Bird and Lime scooters lining up sidewalks all around the city. These scooters are supposed to be a safe and fun option to get you around the city, but they come with many problems.
What are issues with Bird and Lime scooters?
When you rent a scooter, you expect it to be safe. However, there are no safety regulations for scooters. There is no guarantee that the scooter you rent from these companies will even be reliable. In your rental agreement, you agree not to hold either company liable if there is a malfunction with your scooter. This is unfortunate since some accidents occur because of damaged scooters.
Inexperienced drivers are another issue with these scooters. Most people rent scooters to play on in the city, versus driving them responsibly. So, you see scooters flying up and down sidewalks, across crosswalks, and weaving in and out of traffic. Riders treat them like toys instead of vehicles. When scooters are on the road, they must obey the same traffic laws as other vehicles. Alternatively, you find scooters driving on sidewalks, against the flow of traffic, and recklessly through traffic.
Finally, Scooters don’t require any experience to drive. As long as you are 18, you can rent a scooter. The result is over a thousand scooters on the roads with drivers that don’t know what they’re doing. When you add in all these factors, you can see why there are so many scooter accidents on our roads.
Different types of scooter accidents:
Ever since these scooters came to our city, there has been an increase in accidents. Sometimes the carelessness of the driver isn’t the only problem. We’ve seen scooter accidents that occur because of:
- Malfunctions: As we mentioned, there are no safety regulations with these scooters. So, there have been many issues where scooters don’t operate properly. Inexperienced drivers have a hard enough time controlling their scooters without dealing with malfunctions. The apps do require riders to report problems on scooters, but passengers don’t always input this information.
- Dogs: Dogs love to chase people on scooters, bicycles, and skateboards. Dogs chasing riders on scooters can easily cause injuries.
- Objects on the road: Hazards on the road are more demanding on scooters. Your center of gravity needs to be lower to the ground, and objectives in the street can easily throw you off balance. Riders also have accidents because they swerve to miss objects in the road. It’s easy to lose control of scooters because of the way they are manufactured.
- Pedestrians: Many scooter riders choose to travel on sidewalks. There isn’t enough room on sidewalks for scooters and pedestrians. So, many accidents occur when a scooter collides with a pedestrian.
- Other vehicles: There are accidents on the road every day. Most of them are avoidable, and the same can be said about scooter accidents.
If you have been involved in a scooter accident that wasn’t your fault, you could be entitled to compensation. An experienced scooter accident lawyer can build you a strong case to get you a settlement for your damages.
An insurance company has already contacted me. Do I need a lawyer?
Yes. Many insurance companies will take advantage of victims of scooter accidents. You have injuries and damages from your accident, and you deserve compensation. Insurance companies don’t care about your injuries or your case. An insurance company is a business that cares about its bottom line. They want to settle with you quickly and for the lowest amount possible. Many victims accept their first offer because they don’t know any better. Hiring an experienced attorney will ensure you don’t settle for less than you deserve.
Who is liable for my Lime or Bird accident?
Georgia is an at-fault state, so the negligent party is responsible for the accident. When riders rent these scooters, it is the individual. It is responsible for the damages. Part of the rental agreement is that the companies Bird and Lime are not liable for any accidents. Even if the scooter has malfunctioned, it is not the company’s fault. However, you can go after the individual that was riding the scooter. You can typically receive compensation from their auto or homeowner’s insurance.
Don’t risk your settlement
Choosing to handle a Bird or Lime scooter accident on your own can cost you time and money. A skilled attorney can fight for you to ensure that you get a proper settlement. If you or someone you know has been injured in a Bird or Lime accident, contact us immediately. We want to get you the compensation you deserve so that you can move on with your life.