Working with an insurance company after an accident can be difficult and intimidating. You may not know where to begin or who to turn to, and then you hear from the insurance company. Although the insurance representative may sound friendly and compassionate, it is important to realize that they are not on your side. Indeed, the representative is tasked with trying to provide you with the lowest settlement possible or worse – trying to prove that the accident was your fault.
Tips for Talking to Insurance Representatives
Talking with insurance representatives can be tricky and sometimes complicated. It is important that you take care when speaking with the insurance company because what you say could end up hurting your claim. It is advisable to seek legal representation before you talk to the insurance company. Your Atlanta personal injury attorney will assist you when working with the insurance representatives. There are some useful tips about talking to insurance representatives.
- Everything you say will be recorded. Keep in mind that even phone calls that may seem minor could create problems in your case. Don’t say anything that could imply that you were to blame for the accident.
- The insurance representatives are not your friends. While they may seem very pleasant and reassuring, it is best to remember that they are working against your case, not on your behalf.
- The insurance company will want a statement from your perspective about how the accident happened. Write out your response ahead of time and review it for accuracy before you speak with the representative.
- Don’t downplay your injuries. Sometimes you may speak to an adjuster after you have already been receiving treatment. You may be feeling better and therefore have a tendency to say that your injuries are minor. Instead, make sure that you indicate that you have received treatment and that you suffered pain due to the injuries.
- Don’t ask for legal advice from the insurance adjuster. The adjuster isn’t a lawyer and is working to limit your claim. Therefore, do not request any guidance about your claim.
- Speak calmly and confidently. Although the circumstances around the accident may be upsetting, you should try to keep emotions out of the conversation when speaking with the insurance company.
- Don’t feel pressured to accept the first offer. Many times the insurance company offers a fast settlement and the amount may be less than adequate. Do not accept an offer until you first speak to your attorney.
- Do not cash a settlement check or sign a release. Doing so could prevent you from taking any further legal action and therefore will limit your claim. Regardless of what the adjuster tells you, you do not have to accept or sign such a document.
- If you have any concerns it is best to allow your attorney to communicate with the insurance company.
If you were hurt in a car accident you will need to work with the insurance company. You can get the support and guidance you need from a respected Atlanta Car Accident attorney. Contact The Bader Law Firm to schedule a consultation today.
Seth Bader is an Auto accident, Workers Compensation and Personal Injury Attorney who practices in Atlanta, Rome, Savannah, Norcross, Carrollton, Georgia. He graduated from Florida State University College of Law, and has been practicing law for 14 years. Seth Bader believes in fighting for the injured. Learn more about his experience by clicking here.