Riding bicycles can be a fun hobby until you are in an accident. Bikes have the worst damages and injuries in these vehicular accidents. Cyclists do not wear a lot of safety equipment so that a bicycle accident can be life-changing.
Seth Bader is an experienced Norcross bicycle accident lawyer, that understands how overwhelming this process can be. You need to hire an attorney that can support and guide you throughout your case. If you have been injured in a bicycle accident, the time to act is now. Contact us today, so that we can go over your options.
What are bicycle accident laws?
In Georgia, a bicycle is the same thing as a vehicle. This means that you have to follow the rules of the road while riding your bike. It’s important to know what these laws are.
- Your bicycle is legally seen as a vehicle: You must obey all traffic signs, signal when turning, obey traffic lights, and follow the same road rules as a vehicle. You must also stop properly at intersections and yield to the right of way of traffic.
- If you’re over 12 years of age, you need to stay off the sidewalks: It is illegal to ride your bicycle on sidewalks. It would help if you used designated bike lanes.
- It would help if you rode in the same direction as traffic: To make yourself more visible, you might want to ride toward oncoming traffic. However, it is illegal for you to not ride in the same direction as traffic.
- Your bicycle must have proper safety equipment: Your bike must have suitable lights and safety reflectors to be on the road. If you ride at night, you need to have a white light on the front of your bicycle. On the rear of your bike, you must have a red reflector.
- If you’re under the age of 16, you need to wear a helmet: You don’t have to wear a helmet if you’re over 16. However, you should wear a helmet as it is your most significant piece of safety equipment.
It’s vital that you obey these bicycle laws while you are on the road. It is your responsibility to be as safe as possible while you are sharing the road with other vehicles. Breaking the law puts you and other drivers at risk. You could also lose your chance at compensation if you aren’t following bicycle laws. If you are found at-fault for your accident, you will be responsible for the bicycle accident damages.
What should I do after a bicycle accident?
Having an accident is traumatic, and it can be a confusing experience. Whom do you call first? What should you do following your accident? It’s important to know what you should and shouldn’t do following your bicycle accident.
- Don’t talk to anyone: If you apologize to another driver, you could be seen as admitting fault. So, it would be best if you made sure everyone is ok, but that’s it.
- Don’t leave: Leaving the scene of an accident is illegal. Make sure that you stay calm and wait for the police to arrive.
- Call the police: You will need statements for insurance companies and your records. You are also required by law to call the police if an accident has severe injuries or at least 500 dollars in property damage.
- Seek medical attention: It is essential that you seek medical care, even if you feel like your injuries are minor. You won’t know if you have any internal injuries unless you go to the doctor.
- Contact insurance companies: The negligent party will be responsible for the damages. So, you should contact their insurance company to make sure the accident has been reported.
- Hire an experienced attorney: These cases can be very complicated, so you should hire a professional. Most attorneys will provide you with a free consultation to go over your case.
How do insurance companies handle your bicycle accident claim?
Once you contact the driver’s insurance company, an investigation will begin. A claims adjuster will look into your accident immediately. This adjuster will contact you to get details about your case. However, the goal of this adjuster is to have you settle for the smallest amount possible. Many victims of bicycle accidents think that the first offer is the best that they are going to get. Hiring an experienced attorney can get you a larger settlement. You are just a number to an insurance company, and they are always going to try to save money.
Never agree to give a recorded statement to an insurance company. Every time you’re on the phone, your call is recorded. Many adjusters say that you have to provide a statement, but this isn’t a legal requirement. Dealing with insurance companies can be tricky, but having an experienced attorney can help you avoid insurance traps.
Why do I need an attorney?
Having legal representation ensures that you won’t settle for less than you deserve. An attorney can help make sure that the at-fault party is held responsible. You could need medical attention for years to come, and your settlement should reflect these costs. A lawyer can also seek compensation for lost wages, loss of earning potential, and property damage.
Having a lawyer also means that you can take the defendant to court. Most bicycle accident claims are settled outside of court, but a lawyer can put pressure on the defendant. It’s important to know, that going to trial could also help you get a larger settlement. Your lawyer will use an advanced legal strategy that focuses on your injuries, needs, and individual case.
Hire a Norcross bicycle accident attorney
You already have so much to worry about with your bicycle accident; you shouldn’t have the stress of handling your claim. Our attorneys know the proper steps to take to get you the compensation that you deserve. If you or someone you know has been injured in a bicycle accident, contact Bader Scott Injury Lawyers today to discuss your case. You deserve a proper settlement so that you can move on with your life.